 |
Umbrella Sea Slug. VERY rare in Hawaii bd
|
I adore marine bio! I almost changed my major because of this one class. And then I realized I just like collecting animals. So here are a few of my favorites. Plus some interesting tidbits I have learned.
These suckers are just mean. They like to wrap themselves around you and then they puncture your skin multiple times and insert their toxin. Hurts quite decently. However, the kind we have here are NOT the same you would find elsewhere. Thus the cure for this is vinegar and urine. I had one wrap around my ankle and one on my thigh the last trip I took. There were plenty of willing urine donators.
 |
| Portuguese Man-O-War |
 |
Unknown fish bd
|
The story of how we collected this little guy is great. There was a group of us chasing around this little fish, finally we have him cornered and he's resting on a rock, then Bree goes and pushes him off with her hand into our net. Little did we know this booger is on beasty poisonous little fella.
 |
| Lion Fish bd |
Oh my massive amounts of Sea Cucumbers.
 |
| Sea Cucumbers bd |
 |
Left Handed hermit crab bd
|
I LOVE helmut sea urchins! How can you not? They are beautiful
 |
Helmut Sea Urchin bd
|
Still hate eels
 |
Moray Eel bd
|
Manta shrimp are the devil! If you put your finger up they will slice your finger with their scythe like arms.
 |
Manta shrimp bd
|
For some reason Rock Crabs are my favorite, other than left handed hermit crabs
 |
Rock Crab bd
|
 |
| Another anemone bd |
 |
Swimming Sea Anemone bd
|
 |
Raccoon butterfly fish bd
|
 |
Samoan Crab bd
|
 |
Some nasty A eel bd
|
The last piece of information learned was that when looking for fish, take a bag of frozen peas, and open in while snorkeling. The fish LOVE frozen peas. But not mixed vegetables.
No comments:
Post a Comment